You’ve got your eCommerce website set up and you want to add and edit some products? This help article will show you how to do just that!
In this article we will cover the following topics:
- Creating a new product
- Adding Images to your product
- Product Categories
- Product Tags
- Virtual and Downloadable Products
- Previewing and Publishing your changes
- Bulk editing your products from the Dashboard > Products page
- Putting products on sale
For more information on these sections you can read the help information provided by WooThemes here: http://docs.woothemes.com/document/managing-products/
Creating a new product
- Firstly, from your WordPress Dashboard, select Products > Add new product
- You will be brought to a new page, that is set out exactly like any other wordpress post or page where you can enter the information for your product.
- Give your product a title. Keep it short but descriptive enough so the user knows exactly what theyre looking at
- In the main content area, write a description of your product and the features it includes. It may help to have some basic HTML skills to improve the final look of the product, by adding subheadings etc.
- Add images for your product – We will go through this in the next section
- Add product data to your product such as price and shipping classes. There is a separate article on Product Data which can be found here.
- Add a featured image to your product. This is the image that will be the main thumbnail and displayed throughout your site. If you are unsure of how to add a featured image, please see these articles for reference. http://nuttify.com/help/adding-featured-images/ and http://nuttify.com/help/feature-images/
- If you have more than one image of your item you would like to add, you can do this by adding images into the “Product Gallery” which can be found above the featured image tab in the right column. Add images as you normally would and they will be added to the gallery under the main featured image, on single product pages.
It is a good idea to categorize your products, to make it easier for customers to navigate and find the items they’re looking for.
- In the right hand column you will find the Product Categories block. Here you can tick any appropriate categories, or add your own by clicking “Add new product category”
- You can manage all of your product categories from the Products > Categories Screen. This page gives you the ability to drag and drop reorder categories, and unlike normal post categories, you can also assign a featured image for each category which will show up on the shops archive page.
Product Tags run exactly like normal post tags. Every product can be filed under one or more Tags. This aids in navigation and allows posts and to be grouped with others of similar content.
Unlike Categories, Tags have no hierarchy so there is no Parent->Child relationship like that of Categories. But like Categories, Tag names must be unique.
You can add and manage product tags exactly the same way as product categories.
Virtual and Downloadable Products
When you are adding a product, your eCommerce website gives you the option to specify if it is a Virtual or Downloadable product. There are two check boxes under the product data box that allows you to decide this. Ticking either of these options will add several new fields to the product data area that allows you to specify download links, download limit, and download link expiry dates.
Ticking the virtual product, will remove the shipping tab and options, as this means your product does not need to be shipped out. This is a useful option for products that are more like a service than a physical item.
Previewing and Publishing your changes
When adding a new product, and you want to preview the look of the page without publishing it for everybody to see, you can simply click the “Preview” button, located in the right column. This will open the product in a new tab. You will be the only person with access to this view.
If you want to save your changes and come back to the product later to edit, or you want to add a product in advance before the public can see it. Simply click “Save as draft”. This will save the product but wont be visible to the public until you publish the product.
Bulk editing on the Dashboard > Products Page
From the Dashboard > Products page, your eCommerce website gives you the ability to bulk edit products. By selecting numerous products with the check box on the left side, and selecting “Edit” then Apply from the Bulk actions drop down.
This opens a bulk edit section, which gives you the ability to add several products to a certain category, add tags, edit product data, shipping classes etc. Make any necessary changes then click Update in the bottom right corner of the section.
Putting Products On Sale
With your eCommerce website, you have the ability to put products on sale. This adds some nice CSS styling that tells the user the product is actually a sale price, giving customers more incentive to buy, rather than just changing the regular price. This is done in the product data section. Enter the regular price of your item, and underneath that, enter the sale price in the sale price field.